The Haller House is the most important residential building of the Large Square of Sibiu, built in a gothic and renaissance style. It was first documented in 1472.
Only a few elements are still representing the gothic style today: the layout of the house is L shaped, with the façade towards the street, as well as some arches and frameworks. The patio accommodates a two-storied tower-residence having an abrupt ridged roof above the triangular tympanum. The access into the tower used to be done through the spiral stairs from an annexed building, scraped against the tower.
In 1537, the house is taken over by the Alderman Petrus Haller, who will transform it into an elegant renaissance building. Petrus Haller was the descendent of a patrician merchants’ family from Nurnberg, with marital relations with the famous merchants’ families from Frankfurt am Main, Augsburg, Vienna and Anvers. The new owner will keep the house in the family for 345 years.
It is worth mentioning that the facade of the building didn’t suffer any alterations in over three centuries, as it can be seen from a drawing dating since 1703, illustrating the beheading of Alderman Johann Sachs von Harteneck.