Haller House - Piata Mare no. 10
The house was built in Gothic style in the 14th century, being mentioned for the first time in 1472. In the 16th century, it was modified in Renaissance style. It belonged to a number of city senators before it became the property of the Haller family, in 1537. They owned it for the next 345 years.
The house retains Gothic elements, such as the system of vaults and pillars and the dwelling tower at the bottom of the courtyard, with its two floors and a pointed roof decorated with stone motifs, a bay window on the first floor and a spiral staircase. The main access to the premises goes through a portal that, like the stone frames of the windows, is specific to the Renaissance. The outdoor fresco with lions was restored to its former glory in 2006. The building is representative for the property of a patrician and merchant, the city’s financier, with participations in the Baia Mare gold mines, a banker, and then the city’s mayor and royal judge, Peter Haller.