About
The building on no. 3 related to the Stairs Tower is part of the first fortification belt in the 13th century.
The current exterior configuration is a „modernization” of the 19th century. The building annexed to the tower was a merchants’ house, the small wing leading to the tower dating since the end of the 19th century.
The Northern wall preserved a window framework since the Renaissance. The walls are fresco painted dating since the first half of the 16th century.
Upcomming events
Photo Gallery
Similar Suggestions
Este Casa Parohială Evanghelică, care încorporează substanţă murală din vechea casa parohială din secolul XIII.
Elevaţia casei este databilă în secolul XV, remarcabil fiind portalul atribuit pietrarului Andreas Lapicida, ilustrativ pentru goticul târziu cu influenţe de renaştere timpurie.
Blazonul este al preotului Johannes din Alţîna datat 1502.
Piaţa Huet, Nr. 1, Sibiu, România
The building at no. 5 from Huet Square is a public building erected in 1786 without being altered until the present day. The construction was performed after the demolition of a building of the 14th century, which served as an elementary school for the town in 1380. The new location complied with the needs of the secondary and high school education legislated by the imperial government.
The building has a baroque style, including a „cathedra” in the theatre of the high school, a monumental wooden structure with lecterns and baldachin designated for the presence of the high school’s rector with the occasion of the school ceremonies, authentic furniture, possibly unique in Romania.
Nicolaus Olahus, Alderman Harteneck of the Saxons, Governor Brukenthal, Romulus Cîndea, Emil Sigerus, Julius Bieltz and many others have studied at the Brukenthal High School.
Piaţa Huet, Nr. 5, Sibiu, România
Infiintat in 1973, la initiativa unui grup de fotografi amatori, fotoclubul Orizont din Sibiu s-a manifestat la inceput destul de timid prin expozitii personale si colective modeste. Cu timpul organizatia a evoluat intrand in circuitul national si apoi international al miscarii fotografice. Astfel, in palmaresul fotoclubul Orizont s-au strans peste 500 de premii si peste 2000 de participari la saloanele fotografice internationale (si nationale). Printre membri marcanti gasim nume ca: Gh. Lazaroiu, Fred Nuss, Dan Stanescu, Horst Buchfelner, Adrian Velicescu, Otto Schemmel, Roland Zinck, Peter Ehrlich, Peter Roth, Gabriel Holam, Adrian Gugiu, Mircea Halcea, Jurgen Petrascu, Mircea Agabrian, Michael Kapp, Karl Klein, Mircea Pleteriu, Maria-Dora Popescu, Alexandru Ghitiu, Radu Stanese, Mircea Colceriu, Gheorghe Tulban, Vasile Cardei.
Incepand din 1982 fotoclubul Orizont organizeaza din doi in doi ani “Salonul International de Arta Fotografica” de la Sibiu. Statisticile ne arata ca incepand de la prima editie din 1982 au fost jurizate peste 15 000 de lucrari fotografice venite din toata lumea. Numai in anul 2003 cu ocazie editiei cu numarul 10 au fost primite 2176 fotografii dintre care 615 au fost acceptate in salon. Pe langa alte evenimente fotografice (expozitii, proiecte), continuand traditia saloanelor, fotoclubul orizont pregateste evenimentul din 2005. (urmariti www.orizontfoto.ro pentru viitoare detalii legate de acest concurs)
Incepand din anul 2000 cativa tineri pasionati de fotografie au incercat cu succes sa gaseasca persoane cu preocupari comune. Cu sprijinul Casei de Cultura Studentesti din Sibiu, intalnirile lor s-au concretizat si au revigorat miscarea fotografica locala.
Strada Cojocarilor 15, Sibiu, Romania
Corneliu Coposu Avenue is entirely located in the ditch of the South-Eastern side of the 3rd precincts. On the right side of the avenue, coming from Andrei Şaguna Street (DN1), there is a part of the guard wall, on the left side there is a relatively intact Vauban fortification, with the Cisnădiei Gate Bastion, the Thick Tower and the Haller Bastion. The wall is crossed by several modern passages for the facilitation of pedestrian traffic.
It is worth mentioning the so called „Plaque Hole” at the end of Ghe. Lazăr Street, flanked by two massive pilasters from the end of the 19th century, used in the precincts wall to facilitate the evacuation of bodies during the plague epidemic of the 16th century, to enable access to the city cemetery.
Behind the Vauban fortification you can see the upper side of the three towers on Cetăţii Street, preserved intact from the walls of the 3rd original precincts’ fortification.
Bulevardul Corneliu Coposu, Sibiu, Romania
The gangway that connects the Small Square and the Goldsmiths Square, namely the second precincts with the fourth precincts of the city, is what subsisted to a strong gate bastion, the Goldsmiths Tower, wherefrom a part of the embattled wall is still preserved embedded in the wing of a civil construction subsequent to 1551.
Piaţa Mică, Nr. 24, Sibiu, Romania
The tower is overlapped with the gate tunnel with round arched dome, the opening towards the exterior of precincts III is flanked by two buttresses. The first floor integrated to Altemberger establishment (the old city hall), is round arched.
On the side towards Brukenthal High School the communication with the building ensemble is preserved, creating the South-Western side of Huet Square currently replaced by Brukenthal High School. The tower’s roof has a short pyramidal shape.
Strada Alexandru Odobescu, Sibiu, Romania
The Roman-Catholic Parochial House is the first important attraction of the Large Square, being built in baroque style during 1726-1739. In the past, the building used to shelter the Jesuit Seminary. It includes fragments of the Skinners’ Hall.
In 1466 this used to be the main office of the tailors’ guild, which in 1688 is organized for catholic services by the Jesuit monks. During 1774-1790, on the second floor there used to be the Catholic Elementary School, which was moved to the Ursulines’ building in order to give place to the State Secondary School that will activate until 1899, when the current building of Gheorghe Lazăr High School is inaugurated. During 1899 and 1907 the County Court will move here.
Since the end of the 19th century, the ground-floor will accommodate stores. On the left side there used to be the first information office for hotels, coffee-shops and restaurants of Sibiu, Fleck & Preis, which was moved in 1907 to the Small Square, at no. 9, in order to give place to the Sibiu Branch of the Commercial Bank of Pesta. After 1920, when the bank was closed down, the place was occupied by Siebenbürgische Bank und Sparkasse until it was transferred to State ownership.
In the patio of the Parochial House there is the statue of the Saint Martyr Johannes Nepomuk, which used to be initially in the Large Square from where it was removed by the communist regime. The statue was accommodated for a long period of time by the yard of the Brukenthal Museum, until it was moved to the patio.
Piața Mare, Nr. 2, Sibiu, Romania
The Zoo of Sibiu was founded in 1929, being the first zoo of Romania. The zoo was crated at the initiative of an engineer from the Electricity Company who had the idea after finding some foxes by the dam of Sadu.
With donations, the small zoo increased its livestock. Boards, stags, eagles, a she-wolf, a wild cat and, since 1930, the first bear cub were brought to the zoo.
At the moment the zoo has an area of 20ha and it hosts over 300 animals of 70 species: bears, tigers, lions, jaguar, lamas, monkeys, Carpathian stags, deer, white buffalos, ponies, camels, zebras, mouflons, snakes, pheasants, parrots, peacocks, pigeons, etc.
At the entry of the zoo there is a secular oak that is approximately 600 years old.
Grădina Zoologică, Calea Dumbrăvii, Nr. 142, Sibiu, România
The Hermes House is the former House of the Small Artisans Association, built during 1865-1867 – today the main office of ”Franz Binder” Universal Ethnography Museum.
The archaeological researches over here led to the discovery of an old wooden house vestiges dating since the 12th century.
The house is built in neo-gothic style, bringing elegance and distinction to the architectural setting of the Small Square of Sibiu.
The name of the house comes from the Greek mythology, Hermes being the god of trade. The name represents a symbol, considering that, in the Middle Ages this was the place where the old merchants were trading.
The building has a historical importance due to the fact that it is located in the oldest central area of Sibiu City, but also because, in times past, personalities of the time used to live here: Saxon Aldermen, royal judges of the 17th – 18th century, fact proven by the three stone plates which refer to the owners of the old building, previous to the House of the Small Artisans Association.
Since 1993, the Hermes House accommodates the “Franz Binder” Universal Ethnography Museum, the first and only extra-European ethnography museum of Romania.
Piața Mică, Nr. 11, Sibiu, Romania