Rest Home Church
The Church of the Rest Home is located on Azilului Street, but you can also arrive here through a patio that opens right below the Stairs Tower.
The church was mentioned for the first time in 1292, as a church consisting of a hall made entirely of brick, with square shaped loft and polygonal sanctuary.
In 1760, the church was rehabilitated thus acquiring the aspect of today.
On the outside, the aisle of the church has a ridged roof and a small sheet metal tower, the apsis having a pyramidal roof. There are three strong buttresses at the corners of the apsis.
On the outside we can see the old bell from the tower. It is the oldest bell of Sibiu, dating since 1509. It bears the inscription „ad iuva nos deus”. It is 112 cm high and it has a diameter of 44 cm.
Allegedly, on the spot of this church there used to be an older stone building, mentioned in a document of 1292 as being a hospital. It is the oldest documented mention of a hospital in Romania.