Hecht House


Address

Piața Mare, Nr. 8, Sibiu, Romania

About

The Hecht House, located in the Large Square, no. 8, was initially the main office of the Mint. It initially belonged to the Florentine bankers and it was later on purchased in 1472 by Georg Hecht, the mayor of Sibiu at the time.

The initial construction was built in the 14th century and modified in the 15th century. It has gothic and renaissance details, two stories and a high loft, decorated with two rows of eyelets. At the ground-floor the rooms area arched, and at the upper floors there are mesh like and star shaped arches, as well as a door framework with crossed rods.

The arched gangway at the ground-floor is 20 m long, displaying, directly on the left side, a stone framework belonging to the late gothic.

In 1745, once the Vienna-Sibiu mail line was inaugurated, this house was used as the first mail office of Transylvania. The Saxon Aldermen lived here for a long period of time.

In 1821 the building becomes the main office of the Saxon University, institution equivalent to a Parliament of the Saxons.

Similar Suggestions

Alma Vii - Centrul de interpretare a culturii tradiționale

Visit in Sibiu County / Landmark / Sibiu Surroundings

Biserica fortificată din Hosman

Visit in Sibiu County / Landmark / Sibiu Surroundings

Fortified Church in Malancrav

Visit in Sibiu County / Landmark / Sibiu Surroundings

Livada Mălâncrav

Activities in Sibiu County / Landmark / Sibiu Surroundings

The Apafi Manor - Mălâncrav

Visit in Sibiu County / Landmark / Sibiu Surroundings